Check back for programs throughout the year
Check out our Kids’ Book Bags!
If you have a kid who is home sick or a new baby and just need some new books or movies, fill out a form or email and we’ll make selection for you.
Visit The Kids’ Book Bags page to learn more
Below are some helpful links for parents are various subjects. If there is a site that you like or a topic you’d like to see here, please let us know.
General Parenting Information
- Department of Education useful pamphlets to download
- Tufts University directory of child development sites
- Parenting from iVillage
- Parenting Site from the American Academy of Pediatrics
- Dr. Sears’ Website
- Zero to Three
- Center for the Developing Child at Harvard University
- Mother Goose on the Loose
Website for the program we use for our 0-24 mouth olds at the Library.
- Reach Out and Read
- Massachusetts Early Learning Guidelines of Toddlers and Infants
- Reading Rockets
National literacy initiative with information and activities
YouTube videos with rhymes, songs, and book recommendations
- We Believe in Picture Books
Candlewick Publishers interviews with authors and others about pictures books.
- Storytime Online
Famous actors read picture books.
Signing With Babies
- Signing with Your Baby
This site offers discussion of how, why, and what to do to get started with baby signing. Also includes photos of common signs.
- Signing with Babies
Offers information about the benefits as well as resources and how to get started.
- ASL for Babies
Online dictionary with videos of the signs.
- Reading is Fundamental
- Massachusetts Center for the Book
Hosts the Massachusetts Book Awards as well as offering a Letters to the Author contest each year.
- Children’s Book Council
- Center for the book from the Library of Congress
- National Children’s Literacy Website
Great hands-on tips for how to read and what to read
Safety And Preventing Injury
Media Reviews For Parents
Apps: Reviews and Discussions
- Joan Ganz Cooney Center (children’s learning in a digital age)
- Children’s Technology Reviews
- School Library Journal Reviews (professional journal)
- Kirkus Book App Reviews
- Kindertown (reviews by educators)
- App of the Week by Horn Book (professional journal)
- Little eLit (reviews and app blog)
- Graphite (App reviews from Common Sense Media)
- APPitic (App directory for education)
- Teachers With Apps
- Digital Storytime (picture book apps)
- Digital Media Diet (blog on kids and technology)
- Fred Rogers Center (media literacy for 0 – 5 yrs)
- Make a media plan from the American Academy of Pediatrics
Visit the mUseum Online
- Tate Musuem online
- Destination Modern Art (MoMA)
- Science Musueum Online
- Memorial Hall Museum (American History)
- Museum of Natural History (virtual visit)
Autism and Special Needs
We also have resources for parents and kids in the Library that are all requestable through our website or come in and ask us for any thing you might need.
Introduction to Autism
- Advocates for Autism in Massachusetts
- The Autistic Self Advocacy Network
By and for people with autism, this site offers resources for families and adults who are dealing with autism.
- Federation for Children with Special Needs
- Interactive Collaborative Autism Network
Offers training modules for educators and parents and others who are involved in the education of those with autism.
- Massachusetts Advocates for Children
- Special Needs Advocacy Network
- Walsh Brothers Educational Advocates
Government and Legal Resources/Health and Human Services
- Special Education on the Department of Education
- Special Education Laws
- Massachusetts Civil Rights
- Wrights Law
- The Arc of Massachusetts
- The Global and Regional Asperger Syndrome Partnership
An educational and advocacy site for and by individuals with autism. Provides information on support groups.
- Advocates for Autism of Massachusetts (AFAM)
AFAM is a coalition of individuals, families and organizations from across the state advocating on behalf people with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) – including PDD and Asperger’s, with the goal of forming a collective voice in support of legislation, funding, and public awareness around ASD.
- Autism Alliance of Metrowest, Inc.
- Autism Society of America
- Autism Speaks-New England Chapter – Lisa Marie Kearney – AFAM Representative
- Autism Support Center
Serving Northeastern Massachusetts, Charles River West, and Central Middlesex
- The Doug Flutie, Jr. Foundation for Autism, Inc.
- National Allience on Mental IIllness (Massachusetts)
Resources for legel, medical, support groups, and more.
- SPED Child and Teen
Lists events and resources for parents, teens, and professionals.
- OTA Wakefield (Wakefield)
- The Futures Clinc (Beverly)
- Angel Care Therapy Center (Haverhill)
- Massachusetts General Hospital Youth Care Program
Teaches social skills and other behavioral strategies to children, offering therapeutic support through group participation in recreational, social, and educational activities, including summer camps.
Clare Dombrowski, Children’s Librarian – firstname.lastname@example.org