18th Annual Kids’ Poetry Contest
for K – 5th Grades
THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX!
SUBMIT POEMS ANYTIME BETWEEN APRIL 1st – APRIL 30th
All types of poetry accepted…So start thinking….Experimenting….Creating
- Write a poem (it can be about anything and in any form)
- DO NOT PUT YOUR NAME ON IT
- INCLUDE YOUR INFORMATION: With your submission please include 1) Your full name 2) Your Grade 3) Your phone number 4) Email. By submitting your poem you give permission to post your poem on the Amesbury Library Poetry Board. DO NOT PUT YOUR NAME ON YOUR POEM
- EMAIL your POEM to email@example.com You can send a document, a pdf, a picture, or however it works! If you do not have access to email, you can also drop your poetry submission at the library with the above information attached. SUBMIT ANYTIME BETWEEN APRIL 1st and 30th
DOWNLOAD HERE: SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS AND GUIDELINES
- The contest is open to all K-5th grade students. You may live in any surrounding town.
- Do NOT put your name on your poem document, but make sure it is the email or paper attached to the poem.
- Entries may contain illustrations.
- You may only enter ONE poem. If two or more poets write ONE poem together, they each cannot enter another poem.
- You may enter a poem written for school or one created at home.
- The poem must be an original work written by you, not someone else. Your poem will be disqualified if it is plagiarized.
- All poems will be displayed for the community virtually on our online bulletin board without names attached.
- Judges, from the community, will pick the winners. The judges will only know the poet’s grade, not the poet’s name. Judges will be anonymous until after the announcement of winners.
- Winners are chosen within each grade and prizes will be awarded.
Thanks to the Friends of the Amesbury Library
for funding this program!
Need some ideas…try these sites!
HELPFUL LINKS ABOUT POETRY
Funny poet Kenn Nesbit shares how to write funny poems and explains the different kinds. Includes rhyming dictionary: Poetry Writing Lesson
poetry express offers 15 poems you can write right now!
Poetry Foundation: Children’s Poet Laureate information, poem search, and other resources.
Fizzy Funny Fuzzy poet has some fun and funny poems to check out!
Edsitement: All Together Now! Curriculum unit on writing poetry in site sponsored by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Learn some more about the Young People’s Poet Laureate
Fun site for poet Jack Prelutsky!