17th Annual Kids’ Poetry Contest
for K – 5th Grades
CREATE YOUR UNI-VERSE OF POETRY
SUBMIT POEMS ANYTIME BETWEEN APRIL 1st – APRIL 30th
All types of poetry accepted
So start thinking
- Read the submission guidelines below (or on the submission form)
- Write a poem (it can be about anything and in any form)
- DO NOT PUT YOUR NAME ON IT
- Print out a form below (or pick one up at the Amesbury Public Library) and fill it out.
- Bring the form and the poem (you can decorate it if you want, but make sure we can read it!) to the Amesbury Public Library Children’s Room.
PLEASE NOTE: With picture, your submission must be 8 ½ by 11 inches or smaller
- Come to the Poetry Party on May 17th at 6:30pm to see the winners read their poems (one of them just might be you!)
DOWNLOAD HERE: Poetry Rules and Submission Form 2019
- Entries must be 8.5″ x 11″ or SMALLER and can contain illustrations. If illustrations are included, the entire submission still cannot exceed the size of 8.5″ x 11″.
- The contest is open to all K-5th grade students. You may live in any surrounding town.
- You may only enter ONE poem. If two or more poets write ONE poem together, they each cannot enter another poem.
- You may enter a poem written for school or one created at home.
- If you entered a poem in last year’s contest and it won a prize, do not enter the same poem again.
- The poem must be an original work written by you, not someone else. Your poem will be disqualified if it is plagiarized.
- All poems will be displayed on the grand staircase (with poet’s permission).
- Judges, from the community, will pick the winners. The judges will only know the poet’s grade, not the poet’s name. Judges will be anonymous until the Poetry Party.
- Winners are chosen within each grade.
- Deadline: Tuesday, April 30th, 2019.
Thanks to the Friends of the Amesbury Library
for funding this program!
Need some ideas…try these sites!
HELPFUL LINKS ABOUT POETRY
Funny poet Kenn Nesbit shares how to write funny poems and explains the different kinds. Includes rhyming dictionary: Poetry Writing Lesson
poetry express offers 15 poems you can write right now!
Poetry Foundation: Children’s Poet Laureate information, poem search, and other resources.
Fizzy Funny Fuzzy poet has some fun and funny poems to check out!
Edsitement: All Together Now! Curriculum unit on writing poetry in site sponsored by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Learn some more about the Young People’s Poet Laureate
Fun site for poet Jack Prelutsky!