15th Annual Kids’ Poetry Contest
Kids K – 5th grade can enter
You can be from any surrounding town
- Read the submission guidelines below (or on the submission form)
- Write a poem (it can be about anything and in any form)
- DO NOT PUT YOUR NAME ON IT
- Print out a form below (or pick one up at the Amesbury Public Library) and fill it out.
- Bring the form and the poem (you can decorate it if you want, but make sure we can read it!) to the Amesbury Public Library Children’s Room. PLEASE NOTE: With picture, your submission must be 8 ½ by 11 inches or smaller
- Come to the Poetry Party on May 19th at 6:30pm to see the winners read their poems (one of them just might be you!)
DEADLINE IS Saturday, APRIL 29th!!
Make sure to check out all the poems as they get hung up in the stairway up the Children’s Room. From May 1st – May 20th vote for your favorites in our People’s Choice.
Thanks to the Friends of the Amesbury Library
for funding this program!
Need some ideas…try these sites!
HELPFUL LINKS ABOUT POETRY
Funny poet Kenn Nesbit shares how to write funny poems and explains the different kinds. Includes rhyming dictionary: Poetry Writing Lesson
Giggle Poetry offers funny poems to read and rate as well as ideas for writing your own poems, fill in the blank poems, and word games.
Poetry Foundation: Children’s Poet Laureate information, poem search, and other resources.
Interview with poet and author Jacqueline Woodson
Edsitement: All Together Now! Curriculum unit on writing poetry in site sponsored by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Fun site of poet Jack Prelutsky!