SUMMER LIBRARY PROGRAM 2021
AGES 0 – 12years!
It’s all about animals this year!
What Can I Do During the Kids Summer Program?
Virtual Badging Program: Ages 0 – 12 years old can sign up for this program. Different badges will be available for early literacy participants.
- Collect activity badges from around the world to save the endangered animals! New ones will appear each week!
- Special badges for Early Literacy
- Do activities connected to the library
- Keep track of the minutes you read!
- All of these earn you votes to decide what animals we will donate (thanks to the Friends of the Library) from Heifer International! This organization aims to end hunger and poverty in a sustainable way by supporting and investing alongside local farmers and their communities. They do this by giving animals to families that gives them food and a way to make a living.
- Earn 6 badges and you’ll get a lawn sign to show your neighborhood how awesome a reader and explorer (one per family so families can combine badge totals!)
Registration Packets: Stop by outside the library June 21st – 26th to pick up a registration packet!
Includes two activities that will continue all summer! Kits for both early literacy and elementary/middle school!
Search for our creature around town! Hilde the Honey Badger will be showing off her awesome tail in various businesswindows around town! Spot her and record where you see her and what she’s reading to earn coupons for local ice cream or Game Time credits!
Come in to fill out a form, email email@example.com, or fill out the online FORM
Bookmark Contest! Our annual bookmark contest is going on! Draw your favorite animal, real or imagined. Use this FORM to create your work from any art supplies. If chosen, your bookmark will be professionally published and you’ll get a reading bag!
StoryWalk! Check out the new StoryWalk on July 1st on the RiverWalk. Enjoy the book Me…Jane
Programing! CHECK OUT OUR UPCOMING EVENTS TO SEE OUR VIRTUAL AND IN-PERSON PROGRAMING
Read for school! We have all your summer reading needs for school, including the ability to request a summer reading collection to pick up! We’ll put together a selection of books from the suggested reading list and you can just come in to get them! Use this FORM
Math is just as important as reading to keep learning over the summer! Check out the Bedtime Math website or download the app to get a daily math problem that is good for all ages!
Books and audio you can take with you…24/7
Online books to read and listen:
You can download Libby from the app store and access all the ebook, audiobooks you want and read or listen to them right on your device! This is a statewide database so there are lots of choices!
Did you know that you can get a FREE online Boston Public Library card and take advantage of all their online audio, ebooks, and databases? Open to all residents of Massachusetts!
LISTEN TO A PODCAST!
One of the game board challenges is to listen to a podcast! This great short radio-like shows can be packed with tons of information or delightfully silly stories for all ages!
Check out this PODCAST LIST lists to get you started!
Article about the benefits of podcasts and recommended episodes!
Links About Summer Reading
Tips to Prevent “Summer Slide” Learning Loss
CA Library on Importance of Summer Reading
Importance of Reading over the Summer
Don’t Stress About Summer Reading
Preschool Summer Suggestions from Curious George
Tails and Tales is sponsored by your local library, the Massachusetts Library System, the Boston Bruins, and the Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners, Institute of Museum and Library Services, and the Friends of the Amesbury Library.