Who can get an Amesbury Library card?
- Residents of Amesbury: anyone who is a resident of Amesbury can get a library card. Bring a completed application and proof of address (driver’s license, passport, or a bill/car registration with picture ID). Children must be 3 years of age and need to be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian who will need to show proof of Amesbury residence. The card issued will have a 3 year expiration date and may be renewed. Due to our Covid shutdown, you can apply for a library card virtually at this time: Learn More Here.
- Nonresidents of Amesbury: Not a problem! Just apply for a library card in the town you live in and you can use that card here. There are 36 libraries in our consortium, and your card from any of these other libraries is welcome at Amesbury: List of MVLC Libraries
- Residents of non-MVLC libraries in Massachusetts: Not a problem! If you are visiting the area and want to use the library, bring your card from your home library from anywhere in MA and proof of address to the circulation desk and they will register you for a card.
- Amesbury Business/Property Owners: out–of–state residents who own a business or property in Amesbury can get a library card. Business owners need to bring a tax bill with the picture ID to apply for a card. Property owners need to bring proof of ownership with a picture ID to apply for a card. The card that is issued will have a 1 year expiration date and may be renewed.
- AHS student living in South Hampton: a student of Amesbury High School who is a South Hampton, NH resident can get an Amesbury library card. They need to bring in a photo ID and proof they are student (student ID or report card). The card will expire on their graduation date.
- Amesbury Teachers: teachers in the Amesbury School Department who reside out-of-state can get an Amesbury-only card. They need to bring a photo ID and proof of employment in Amesbury schools (badge or pay stub). The card will have a 1 year expiration date and may be renewed.
- Institutions: nursing homes, businesses, daycare centers, and schools located in Amesbury may get an institutional card. A representative of the institution needs to bring in a signed letter listing who can use the card from their institution. The card then remains at the library for use by the authorized personnel. The list should be updated periodically.
What if I forget my library card or lose it?
- If you forget your library card, we will ask that you show identification when checking out. If you lose your library card and/or think it is stolen, please let us know as soon as possible. You can get a new card by showing your photo ID and paying the $1.00 fee.
Can I use someone else’s card to borrow materials?
- We request that you use only your library card when checking out materials. If you have lost your card, you can replace it.
How can I renew items?
- NEW October 1, 2020: You no longer need to worry about renewing items you have checked out! All eligible items will be automatically renewed for you three days prior to their due dates. You do not need to sign up for this service, it will be done for all our patrons.
- If the item doesn’t automatically renew, it might be because:
- There is a waiting list.
- The item has reached its renewal limit.
- Your account is blocked due to overdue items and/or bills owed.
- The item belongs to a collection that does not allow auto–renewals (such as nonrenewable “Hot Titles,” digital content, and items lent by libraries outside MVLC, such as Commonwealth Catalog items).
- The item was checked out at a library that isn’t participating in automatic renewals.
- Get notified: If you have opted in to receive email notifications, you will receive a courtesy renewal notice three days before the item’s due date. The notice will provide the new due dates for each item and the number of renewals used. You will also be notified of any items that weren’t renewed and the reason(s) they were not eligible for auto–renewal. To ensure you receive these notices, please check that your contact information is current in your account. Speak with a library staff member if you have any questions about how to update your contact information.
- Overdue Fines: Please note you are still responsible for any fines that accrue if the item was unable to be automatically renewed for you. Due to our Covid Shutdown, we are not charging late fees through the end of 2020.
What happens if I am late with an item or lose an item?
- Please return your library materials when you are done with them. If you are late returning a video game, DVD, a Gadget Gallery item, or a returnable Museum Pass you will be charged a late fee. Due to our Covid Shutdown, we are not charging late fees through the end of 2020.
- Video Game – $1 per day for up to 3 days that it is late
- DVD – $1 per day for up to 3 days that it is late
- Gadget Gallery items – $5 per day up to $25 total
- Museum Pass – $5 per day up to $25 total
How can I return items?
- Due to Covid: Please return all items in our book drop outside in our back parking lot by the end of the ramp. If you have an item that is too large to go in the book drop, or has a sticker on it asking to not place it in the book drop, please contact us at 978-388-8148 to arrange a time to drop it off.