1000 Books Before Kindergarten is a national program that is intended to promote reading together with your child. The more words and books a child is exposed to in their early years, the more likely they are to love reading and be more able to do it well!
It’s a great way to encourage literacy, love of words, give your child important skills as well as creating some wonderful memories of reading together.
So what’s this all about?
Our program is pretty easy.
- Sign up online (REGISTRATION LINK) or come into the Library.
- Read! You just have to keep track of how many books, not the titles (although you can if you’d like). If you read the same book again and again, it counts each time you read it! You can download and print the sheets below, ask for sheets at the Youth Services desk or download the free app!
- Each time you reach 100 books come in to turn in your form and get another or just show us your app. For every 100 books you read together, you’ll get a little bag of Mega-Bloks so you can build up a collection! You’ll also get to put your name on our counting wall!
- A few mile stones: at 500 books you will get a free picture book and then at 1000 books you get an awesome community coupon for a Flatbread Pizza!
- That’s it! Well, except that you and your child will have cuddle time and be building literacy skills and learning new things….
How can I get to 1000 books!?!
If you read just one book a day, you will reach 1000 in less than 3 years!
When can I start?
Any time! You can start when your child is just born or you can start when your child is four years old. You can start any month or at any time of year. Just come in and ask us!
Some more information:
1000 Books before Kindergarten Page (Good links about the benefits)
Forms to print out:
(just remember to turn each of them into the library)
601 – 700 Not downloadable (Come into the Library to get one)
FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT the YOUTH SERVICES DEPARTMENT
Thank you for funding and donations!
FRIENDS OF THE AMESBURY PUBLIC LIBRARY