STEAM Storytimes for 2-6 years old
This weekly in-person program is open to anyone with a child 2 – 6 years old and may include stories, some interactive activities, and action songs! Families will enjoy stations with interactive activities at the end of each program.
This program is outdoors, and we encourage you to bring a blanket to sit on.
No registration is required. If the weather is terrible, we will cancel the program, so check our social media and calendar for updates in case of bad weather.
Expectations for this program:
Do respect the space of the staff member doing the program. If your child is in front of the book or felt board, other families cannot see.
Do participate! Adults are role models for kids, so sing the songs and do the movements. We want you involved!
Do allow your child to wander around if they need to. There is plenty of space outdoors, but make sure they are not distracting others.
Do wait to do the activities on the tables until invited by staff members.
Do try to arrive on time as setting up your blanket and settling down can be distracting, although we understand that some days are harder to get out the door than others, and you are still welcome after the program has started!
Do be mindful that some kids have food allergies. If you bring a snack, please keep it in your own area.
Do bring water and other drinks as some days can get hot!
Don't worry if you have to bring siblings who are younger or older as they are also welcome. If a sibling becomes too distracting, we ask that you step away from the programming area.
Don't feel like you have to stay for the whole program. If your child is not feeling it that day, you can certainly leave and try again the next week.
Don't have conversations when staff are reading. Even quiet conversations can become distracting to those attending. There is plenty to time to talk while the children are engaged in the interaction stations and before and after the program.
Storytime Take Out
Storytime Take Out is a flexible pick-up program that happens over the winter months. Register to pick up a kit each week for one or both of our six week sessions. These are free kits, and the only thing you need to return are the books! Do a storytime at home or just enjoy getting an activity and some new books to read aloud each week.
What to expect:
- Kits are for 2 – 6 year olds.
- Kits include curated books for your child’s age as well as rhymes to go with your stories.
- Kits include activity packets with supplies and instructions for science experiments, crafts, or other projects.
- Kit includes felt story pieces to use on your pizza box felt board (included in first kit).
- Registration is for all six weeks of a session.
- New kits are ready on Mondays.
- Pick up your kit any day during the week.
- Kits are kept for an extra week, so don’t worry if you have to miss a week or can’t make it to the library.
- We often have a wait list, so please let library staff know if you are no longer interested in participating.
REGISTRATION FOR THE NEXT SESSION STARTS ON DECEMBER 15, 2023
Just looking for some books to pick or reading recommendations? Visit our Kids' Requests page to get a personalized stack of books or Reader's Advisory